Lavender - Lavandula angustifolia
Lavender, from the Lamiaceae family, is probably the easiest essential oil to use because people mainly use it to enhance sleep! Lavender stimulates the release of melatonin, which is the hormone you secrete to fall asleep. While lavender works WONDERS to aid in sleep, it also does so many other wonderful things:
- Enhance sleep – aromatherapy or put oil on pillow or sides of neck before getting into bed to go to sleep.
- Supports the skin, especially areas that are burned – you can apply lavender to minor burns to promote skin regeneration. I always put lavender on my sunburns! Young Living has an after sun spray composed of lavender too!
- Occasional Acne & dry skin spots
- Moth repellent
- PMS support
- Animal ailment – you can use lavender on animal skin irritation and it works wonders!
- Enviornment control - you can diffuse lavender to create a calm and peaceful enviornment. I know teachers that love to diffuse this oil during quiet time, reading time and nap time!
While Lavender has 100 other uses, these are the most common uses that you can use lavender for!