Let's be real for a second: While it may seem a little weird to admit, we are ALL a little guilty of going to the gym, using a machine and then ditching the post clean up sesh...
If you have ditched the soap and rag clean-up session after a workout on a machine, imagine the countless amounts of other users doing the same exact thing! What did those people also do that day, that evening before? When was the last time they washed their hands? Are they sick? Are they fighting the seasonal cold, or worse, are they fighting the recent viral breakout? How many toxins did the person before me sweat out while here today and left them all on this machine?
There are thousands and thousands of tiny microbes living everywhere and all over us, BUT we can prevent exposure and break the chain of infection very easily!
The first way to fight germ exposure in the gym, go in and WASH YOUR HANDS! I do this automatically as I walk into the locker rooms and take a good look in the mirror before my workout. A little bit of confidence and a whole lot of cleanliness!
Secondly, WIPE DOWN YOUR MACHINE BEFORE YOU USE IT! As this may seem a bit paranoid, it is the biggest prevention mechanism you can have. You have no control over others, but you have complete control over yourself. Be smart and wipe down areas of the machine your hands will come into contact with.
After machine use, WIPE DOWN YOUR MACHINE! Not everyone is as genius as you to wipe it down before use, so down it to love on everyone else that is going to use it after!
Post workout: WASH YOUR HANDS! Before you leave the gym, please oh please wash your hands. You have no idea what you came into contact at the gym and the best (and only) way to get those little critters off of you is to manually wash them off. I always keep a pocket-sized hand purifier in my gym bag just in case I forget! This is my favorite, chemical free hand purifier!
Tips to keep in mind:
- Bring your own personal towel, water bottle and gym bag!
- NEVER share towels!
- Do not sit on the locker room bench without undergarments on!
- Don't touch your face while working out and sweating; this is why you bring a towel!
- Don't touch the bottom of your shoes... ever!
Germ fighting yoga mat cleaner recipe
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- 5 drops of lemon oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- Mix in a small glass spray bottle and fill the rest up with distilled or spring water. Shake before each use.
DIY All-Purpose Wipes
- Obtain an empty wipes container
- Fill container with 2-6 cups of distilled water
- Add 2-4 Tablespoons of Thieves Cleaner
- Put 200 quality coffee filters inside of the container, turn upside down for 2 minutes then right-side up.
- Use as needed.
I can not even imagine the support we would have on our bodies if we used this all-natural blend of wipes before, during and after our workouts!
If you are interested in this all-purpose cleaner, visit here and shoot me a message!